July 20, 2012 City Manager’s Office, City Manager Rick Daniels:
• Attended the following meetings/events:
o Weekly updates with Mayor, Mayor Pro Tem, and Councilors Sanchez and Matas.
o Economic Development Department Update.
o Planning Change in Command Ceremony.
o Festival Advisory Committee Meeting – Committee will re-issue the Request for Proposals at the request of a couple of potential vendors and review submittals at their next meeting on September 5, 2012 at 3:00 P.M. at the Carl May Community Center.
o Council Policy & Procedures Committee Meeting.
o Working on re-use of the Wardman Boys and Girls Club buildings.
o Working with Mission Springs Park users to find opportunities to cohabit the park
by coordinating use times. Park turf is suffering from over-use.
o Working on RDA Properties Asset Management Plan.
o Engaged legal counsel for Oversight Board.
• Community Health & Wellness Center –
o Site work north – Steel posts for pool shade structures have been installed. Irrigation and landscape ongoing.
o Site work south – Grading is ongoing. Installation of curbs and gutters ongoing.
o Site work east – Splash pad structure line plumbing ongoing. Pool equipment setting ongoing.
o Phase I structure – Plaster ongoing. Interior painting ongoing. Cabinetry and casework ongoing. Restroom Tile installation ongoing. Sheet metal installation to exterior fascia ongoing Installation of air conditioning units and exterior
ducts ongoing. T-Bar ceilings currently being installed o Phase II Structure (Expansion Area) Framing ongoing. Roofing ongoing. Rough plumbing installed. Rough electrical installed.
o See progress photos:
Administrative Services Department Finance
• Oral Board interviews were conducted for the Director of Finance & Administration. Finalists will be interviewed by the City Manager.
• Proposals were received in response to the RFP for Economic Development Consulting Services and have been forwarded to the Economic Development Committee for screening and interviews.
• Work is nearing completion on the Five-Year Financial Plan and Monthly Financial Report; both documents will be presented to the City Council on September 4, 2012.
• Staff is reviewing and analyzing the RDA Dissolution Trailer Bill, AB 1484, to ensure compliance.
• The following 20 new Business Licenses were issued in June 2012:
1) Harvest Ice LLC (17001 Palm Dr, DHS, CA 92240)
2) Everyday Communications Corp. dba: Everday Energy (804 Pier View Way #201 Oceanside, CA 92054)
3) Joanna Angelos–Reciprocal Massage Therapist (53110 Avenida Ramirez, La Quinta, CA 92253)
4) All American Street Service (7626 Rockaway Ave. Yucca Valley, CA 92284)
5) Desert Home Repairs (68479 E. Palm Canyon Dr. Cathedral City, CA 92234)
6) Max Patino Electric (15705 Ave. Mirola, DHS, CA 92240)
7) Pacific Electric Lighting & Sound Inc. (330 E. 3rd St. Beaumont, CA 92223)
8) American Solar Direct (2400 Broadway Ave. #240 Santa Monica, CA 90404)
9) Michele’s Skin Care & Massage (8340 Annandale Ave, DHS, CA 92240)
10) Valleycrest Landscape Maintenance (8726 Calabash Ave. Fontana, CA 92335)
11) Legacy Constructors, Inc. (78365 Hwy 111 #396 La Quinta, CA 92253)
12) Universal Asphalt Co. Inc. (10610 S. Painter Ave. Santa Fe Springs, CA 90660)
13) Yeh Dynasty Entertainment, LLC (11000 Palm Dr., DHS, CA 92240)
14) Brisas DePaz Apts. (65921 Flora Ave., DHS, CA 92240)
15) Bernards’s (555 First St. San Fernando, CA 91340)
16) Red Hawk Tobacco Shop (12675 Palm Dr., DHS, CA 92240)
17) Pacific Coast Home Solutions (4155 E. La Palma #500 Anaheim, CA 92807)
18) Gardner Pool Plastering (45900 Commerce St. B3 Indio, CA 92201)
19) The American Bottling Co.–New Ownership (1188 Mt. Vernon Ave., Riverside, CA. 92507)
20) JAG Architecture (15 Hubble #200 Irvine, CA 92618)
Economic Development Department Public Works
• Replaced stop sign at Desert View and Foxdale.
• Cleaned catch basin grates along Pierson Blvd.
• Removed weeds from curbs/gutters along Palm Dr.
• Landscape maintenance at Rancho Del Oro.
• Replaced gun lockers at the Police Dept.
• Cleaned up following a water leak at the Carl May Community Center (toilet overflow).
• Completed work orders for the Skyborne Fire Station, Senior Center and a City-owned building.
• Prepared the Carl May Community Center for various meetings. Engineering
• On July 18, 2012, the City issued a Notice Inviting Sealed Bids for the Western Avenue and Scenic Drive North of Pierson Boulevard Improvement Project. Bids are due in the City Clerk’s Office by 2:30 P.M. on August 7, 2012. More information
can be found on the City’s website at www.cityofdhs.org.
Public Safety Administration
• Participated in a Community Health and Wellness Center meeting.
• Handled 548 incidents (calls for service/officer generated activities), including 16 misdemeanor arrests, 10 Felony arrests, 79 traffic stops with 31 citations, 65 patrol checks (includes City parks and businesses) and three (3) DUIs.
• Prevailed in the Small Claims Court action filed by Mr. Metcalfe.
• Contacting property owners and tenants regarding trash and debris placement prior to collection and the next quarterly community clean-up scheduled for July 23, 2012 through July 27, 2012.
• On July 19, 2012, Code Enforcement Officer Schooley investigated a report of illegal electrical work at a dwelling, which contained a Marijuana cultivating operation. Many violations were noted.
• Obtained an Abatement Warrant for demolition of the structures at 66238 1st Street.
• Organizing the demolition and abatement of sub-standard structures at 66191 Desert View Ave.
• Discussions continue regarding receivership for the former Flamingo Hotel.
• Researching resources and options for clean-up and abatement of trash, junk and debris, to further reduce neighborhood blight on vacant parcels.
• During a follow up inspection in the 13700 block of Verbena on July 10, 2012, Code Enforcement Officer Che Hill observed smoke coming from the rear of the property. The fire was contained by CalFire with the help of the DHS Police Officers. There were no injuries reported
• Two (2) partially constructed bank-owned properties (66657 and 66663 San Rafael Rd.) cleared of severely overgrown weeds and junk and are currently in escrow.
• Met with Planning, Building & Safety and the City Prosecutor to discuss our plan of action regarding the Hyundai Hotel. Exploring the Health & Safety Receivership option for the property. For more information on this process visit http://calreceivers.com.
• A third level Administrative Citation ($500) was issued to Linda Vista Senior Apartment for False Alarm Responses by CalFire.
• Administrative Citations for lack of a current business license were issued to the following:
o A business in the 11900 block of Palm Dr.
o A business in the 12900 block of Tamar Drive
o A business in the 65900 block of Pierson Blvd.
o A business in the 17000 block of Palm Dr.